Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pentatonics

Did you know that in every culture there is a variation of a five note scale called the pentatonic scale? This past week I have been thinking about this and how cool it is that even though there different styles of music across other cultures there is a thread that ties everything together and creates commonality. For the next few weeks, I thought I might attempt to discuss the differed tonalities and structure of music across the seven continents. Don't worry, it is not going to be intense. I will just be giving a nice broad overview of how music differs from place to place and culture to culture. To give us all a common starting point, I will talk about the basic tonal structure of music next post!

Tyler Cook

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a very interesting topic. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete