Monday, July 11, 2011

To Chill, or Not To Chill?

Hello, wonder babies!

A Burning Century rehearsals are an insane place. Loud, classically situated in a basement studio, and full of rock madness. I like it that way, it makes me feel authentic when we're sweating bullets and jerking around like we've all gotten rabies. Sexy rabies, that is.


Rabies make outs are hot.

The main thing I worry about is that we're blasting so hard and so heavy, you can't have a moment of chill contemplation in the middle of the show where you can stop dancing madly and start thinking about all kinds of things, including love and death and your sweet grandma... just don't think about them in that order, or you'll be severely depressed (and maybe a little grossed out?).

 Why, grandma, why ?!?


Anyways, at rehearsal yesterday, we had this moment where we weren't practicing written songs. We were just playing around with different sounds and generally having fun.

All of a sudden, there was this moment where the guitars were going and the drums were pounding, but it was rhythmic and chill. Everything I sang felt like Bjork had invaded my body and was coming out of my mouth.

"Bjork mouth" is a known disease in Iceland.  Look it up.

All in all, I figured out that quiet doesn't always mean introspective, and loud driving rhythms don't always mean the sound should be, well, a scream-fest.

To really understand what I'm talking about, you're just going to have to come to a live show. Bjork mouth, no charge :)

Written by Maggie Smith

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I am a big fan of your music, and would love to see you guys live. Sadly, I couldn't find any tour dates. If you have any upcoming shows please let me know.

    Thanks for being awesome,
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are you guys so hard to find?! Get inspired again, start something new.
    Love the newest album! Please keep at it, we've loved you all for years now

    ReplyDelete